Pack this detoxifying pomegranate lemonade from Flower Child for all your picnics this spring.
By Kat Barclay, Photo and recipe courtesy of Flower Child
Pomegranate Chia Ginger Lemonade
Yields approximately 8 cups
5 medium-sized lemons
2 medium-sized limes
Pom pomegranate juice
1 cup dry chia seeds
1 cup unsweetened coconut water
Ginger root to taste
1/3 cup evaporated cane sugar (or more to taste)
- Soak the chia seeds in the pomegranate juice overnight with a ratio of 2 tablespoons of chia seeds per every 20 ounces of juice. This allows the chia seeds to plump up and become easier to digest. (Helpful tip: Buy a 24-ounce bottle of Pom juice, pour a little off the top and add the chia seeds directly into the bottle. Give it a good shake and put it back in the fridge.)
- Place the cane sugar in a mixing bowl or pitcher and add 2 cups hot water, whisking continuously to dissolve the sugar. Let the mixture cool.
- In a separate bowl, juice the lemons and limes until they yield about 1/2 cup of lemon juice and a little more than 1/8 cup of lime juice.
- Peel the ginger root with a spoon blade or peeler. Using a microplane or zester, shred the raw ginger directly into the lemon/lime mixture. (For ginger lovers, use approximately 2 tablespoons.)
- Add the lemon, lime and ginger mixture to the water and sugar mixture. Whisk everything together.
- Add the coconut water and whisk.
- When you’re ready to serve, add cold water to the mixture until the desired amount of lemonade is reached.
- Shake the chia mixture and pour it generously over the top of the pitcher.