Il Brutto Executive Chef Erind Halilaj shares his recipe for the Italian eatery’s brunch pizza plus his tips for a mimosa bar.
By Courtney Runn, Photos courtesy of Il Brutto
8 cups white flour
2.5 cups water
.6 ounces fresh yeast
1 tablespoon salt
.8 fluid ounces extra virgin olive oil
17 fluid ounces tomato sauce
1 cup roasted peppers
1 cup pork sausage, cooked
3 cups mozzarella cheese
1. Dissolve the yeast in water and mix the flour with the water/yeast mixture, salt and olive oil for 15 to 18 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
2. Create a ball of dough and cover it with a towel for three hours to let it rest.
3. Spread the dough onto a sheet pan with the help of some flour then oil the dough. The dough should be 1/2-inch thick.
4. Add the tomato sauce, the mozzarella, the sausage and the roasted peppers to the pizza.
5. Cook the pizza at 480 degrees for 15 minutes.
6. While the pizza is cooking, fry the eggs in a nonstick pan with some olive oil, leaving the yolk a bit runny.
7. Once the pizza is crispy and cooked, add the two fried eggs and some black pepper. Buon appetito!
Strawberry Basil Mimosa
Muddle one basil leaf with 2 ounces fresh strawberry juice and top it with 3 ounces of Italian prosecco.
Top 2 ounces of fresh peach juice with 3 ounces of Italian prosecco.
Cucumber Celery Mimosa
Mix 1 ounce of fresh celery juice, 1 ounce of fresh cucumber juice and 3 ounces of Italian prosecco and top it all with one basil leaf.