Revel in the holiday season by baking this breakfast treat.
Story and Photos by Natalie Paramore
Chai-spice Coffee Cake With Orange Glaze
Makes two 8.5-by-4.5-inch loaves
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 chai tea bags
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Orange Glaze Ingredients
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons milk
1 tablespoon cream cheese
2 tablespoons orange zest
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees and grease two loaf pans.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a small pot and steep it with the tea bags for 10 minutes. Strain and measure out one cup. Set it aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, all spice and cloves in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Use a stand mixer to cream the butter and sugars together at medium-high speed until it’s creamy, about three minutes.
- Reduce the speed to slow and incorporate the eggs one at a time until just mixed.
- Add in the flour mixture, milk and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Divide the batter and pour it into the pans. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the center is cooked through.
- While the loaves are baking, make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and milk. Add in the cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Stir in the orange zest and set aside.
- Let the loaves cool completely, then pour the glaze on top. Serve immediately or wrap and serve within five days.