The celebrated pastry chef shares her recipe for brioche French toast.
By Courtney Runn
After moving to Austin in 2016 and selling her food at farmers markets, Parisian chef Julie Myrtille opened her namesake bakery in December. From the classics—croissants, quiche, macarons—to seasonal flavors, Myrtille’s pastries are a welcome addition to Springdale General. Here, she shares her recipe for brioche French toast with mascarpone Chantilly cream, perfect for an indulgent breakfast or Valentine’s Day treat.
BRIOCHE FRENCH TOAST WITH MASCARPONE CHANTILLY CREAM
Ingredients for Toast
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 brioche from Julie Myrtille or 8 slices bread or toast
Directions for Toast
1. If using vanilla bean, scrape the seeds of the split vanilla bean and infuse the vanilla bean in the milk. Set aside.
2. Cut 3/4-inch-thick slices of brioche.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs until pale and thick.
4. If using vanilla extract, add the extract and cinnamon and stir.
5. Pour the milk into the egg-sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.
6. Soak the slices in the batter to imbibe them, then drain the soaked slices on a rack.
7. Butter a pan and grill the soaked slices of brioche on medium heat until they’re a golden caramel color. Flip them and grill the other side.
8. Serve the French toast hot and top it with a scoop of ice cream, mascarpone Chantilly cream, berries and sea-salt caramel from Julie Myrtille.
Ingredients for Mascarpone Chantilly Cream
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (36 percent or more milk fat)
2 cups mascarpone
1/4 cup powdered sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for Mascarpone Chantilly Cream
1. Mix the cold heavy cream, mascarpone, vanilla extract and sugar.
2. Beat the mix firmly with a mixer.
3. Keep the mix refrigerated until ready to use.