Feel confident in your own skin.
By Madison Matous
There’s no question women’s empowerment has been a major theme of 2017. Alas, there are still societal pressures that play into how we see ourselves and how we view other women. One such pressure is the idea that women are supposed to wear makeup every day, an archaic standard that has fueled the recent makeup-free trend. Here are some of our best tips to get a glowing complexion and feel your best.
- Prioritize self-care. Strive for a balanced plate with multicolored fruits and vegetables at every meal, and drink at least the recommended eight glasses of water each day. Getting enough sleep, between seven and nine hours, also plays a major role in skin health, as sleep is a time when the body repairs itself. Additionally, take a look at your workout routine. Try going for a short morning jog or attending a yoga class to brighten your complexion and decrease puffiness.
- Exfoliate and moisturize. When it comes to skin care, exfoliating and moisturizing are key. Try a lip scrub to keep your lips soft and smooth, and invest in a natural moisturizer to give your skin a sought-after, dewy glow.
- Use oil-based skin-care products. Although it may seem counterintuitive, there are many Austin-based skin-care lines that incorporate healthy oils into their products. 512organics and Olive + M are two local lines that rely on oils to enhance their products’ benefits. When going makeup-free, pick up 512organics’ Lavish Lavender eye serum to increase elasticity, and Olive + M’s face polish with mineral sea salt.
- Up your brow game. Keeping your brows tamed is key to successfully pulling off the no-makeup look. Regular waxing or plucking, along with brushing, can make a real difference. For another option, try microblading, a relatively new trend, to semipermanently thicken brows. While this technique can be pricey, it’s worth the investment, as the results can last as long as a year.
- Look in to lash extensions. For fuller lashes without mascara, it’s worth looking in to lash extensions or tinting. Extensions can be expensive because of the intricacy involved and the upkeep that comes with them, but tinting is a great budget-friendly option.
One of the most important things to remember when trying to go makeup-free is that oftentimes, we are our own worst critics. It’s scary to take the leap, but you may just be surprised by how many compliments you get.